My old Timeless Things (now called Timeless Me) blog ended in 2012 but you can still follow the newly updated Timeless Things by clicking here . I apologize for the posts not being in order by date but this is just a depository for the posts that were once on Timeless Things. **If you would like to leave a comment on any posts, the original comments link is no longer open but if you look below the original comments, you will see a post separation break line and another space is open that says 0 comments with the links to Gmail, Blogger, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest and it is here that it will allow you to leave a comment.** - Deanna

Friday, August 7, 2015

THURSDAY, MARCH 12, 2009

What's My Favorite Painting?

I guess I'm designating Thursday as my What's My Favorite Painting, day. This is a painting by French artist, William-Adolphe Bouguereau (November 30, 1825 – August 19, 1905) called, The Virgin of the Lilies. It does speak to me and being of the Catholic faith, we do have the understanding of Mary and her relationship with Jesus. Not only is this painting extraordinarily beautiful and photo-realistic but there are some hidden things about it that you may not see at first glance. Mary is painted as the dominant figure but does she not appear to be holding on to baby Jesus for support? She holds him near her heart as if she needs the comforting. Her eyes are closed as if in prayer. Baby Jesus is making the peace sign with with right hand and the eyes are strong, penetrating and almost worldy in their steady gaze. The lilies are supposed to symbolize Mother Mary's purity and her obedience to God's will.
This painting is so realistic in the way he painted the subjects. I can sit and stare at their faces and marvel at the genius of the work. This kind of painting astounds me and makes me realize that it is, a God given talent.

No comments: